Well, I finally finished this project and I could not be happier with how it turned out!
I was just a plain old bookcase, probably from the 70's. The veneer top had some issues, so I figured I would just pull it off...yeah right, well half-right.
I just figured rather than fight with it, I would replace the top. I had some boards that came off of a plant pallet from work, and they were just what I needed to fix this baby up! I put them on the top and John(my husband)went to work with the belt sander. Then I used a wiping stain on it and then a few little home-grown secrets and a hand rubbed finish. It turned out great.
I can't tell you what color it is, just a $1. can of paint from the "oops" pile. But I love the color.
So know the 70's bookcase kinda looks like an 1870's bookcase!